Kookys & Dreams

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Time Machine and The Little Piggy

4 years have passed on.

I had forgotten what I have written here. Stories of my life. Before and during.

I revisited some of my posts to find them very interesting and intriguing. Some of them made me reflect on certain matters pertinent to worldly issues. What was going on through my mind and how I see issues retrospectively.
Most of all they made me remembered how I was feeling when I wrote all that. There were several pieces that really invoke emotions, feelings and a deep sense of nostalgia.

I had time-travelled.

It shouldn't come as a surprise now on why I should start writing again here.

My life changed dramatically over the years. I worked very hard to become what I envisioned myself to be. I do not think I am quite where I am supposed to be at, but I am humbled to see that my beginnings were simple and that I had indeed come a long way. I had my fair share of trials and tribulations. They brought me much pain, and sorrow.
Looking at them positively, they seemed necessary for me as a rite of passage to what I should be, and how I should be. In the same way, this process of refinement has brought along several sedimentary elements to my character which may or may not necessarily mean a good or bad thing. It seemed that Newton's Law of Physics were right again.

Two items stands out the most as a reminder to how I should continue to live my life philosophically and purposefully. I shall endeavour to talk about 1 in this post here:


A Figurine of a Pig
The pig has always been a symbol of greed and sloth. It is obvious that most people have the notion that pigs are greedy because of their seemingly insatiable appetite and reluctance to be of anything useful other than bacon for breakfast.
I have a different opinion about pigs. They are humble and unassuming. It is by this nature that pigs never had to defend their actions otherwise about being called a greedy slob. Pigs just look up at you halfway through their meal to take a sniff with their snouts and return them into the feeder trays.
In the same way, I have learned very early on in my life to be that pig. Not just because they are unassuming but also because by it, I would like to be reminded that humility is essential in my daily routines and especially through interactions with people from various walks of life. Then there is the other reason being derived from an old Chinese Cantonese adage: "The seemingly unassuming Pig will eat the fearsome Tiger".
This simple but wacky phrase that makes no sense at first has much to speak about itself. The Tiger has always been an icon that depicts fear, fierce-some, predatory instincts, dangerous, and everything else you can think of when you are standing face on with a Tiger in a cage. Nobody thinks anything about the Pig.
How do you "eat" a Tiger then? A Pig can no doubt not be able to do that, but a hunter in a Pig's skin suit can.
What is the relevance then?
In order to conquer or kill the Tiger, a hunter may not approach the Tiger directly as a hunter himself. In doing so, a hunter risk being detected and the Tiger would have fled. The Tiger having better natural instincts may in the same way detect the hunter way before the hunter finds the Tiger. The hunter may then be killed.
To dress up as a pig and look and behave like one, the hunter needs to cast aside any ego he may has as a hunter / predator and be looked upon as a prey. He will need to be amongst the prey. The hunter needs to be willing to suffer the humiliation of being looked upon as a "pig" and yet practice the same unassuming mannerism of one. The Pig is humble...except at the dinner table and at buffet lines...
As the Tiger draws near, the hunter needs not shed his pig skin suit. He simply draws his rifle and fires. The Tiger is wounded or dead. The "Pig" returns to be amongst the herd.

Many lessons can be drawn from such a plot but two important points can be brought up:
1. If you are the hunter, you need not reveal yourself to be the hunter so when the time comes for the kill, you will not be detected.
2. When you are that Pig, live simply like a Pig so that others may be inclined to think less about you or your prowess and that you can live sociably like the others.

All of us have different ways on dealing with Life especially in times of adversity. Most of these stems from Fear.
It really does not matter what it has to be as long as it gives you the strength to carry on and that you can be in one-ness with your surroundings...

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home