Kookys & Dreams

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Blog Makeover

Ever since Google acquired Blogger, much changes have taken place in terms of how bloggers would churn out content on their blogs. Some of these changes include the capability to store images directly on Blogger thereby enabling users the ease of uploading and directing a link for images in their postings. Previously, bloggers have to find an external host to store the images and create a URL link to display the images. There's also the additional feature of tags which many users are undecided on its usefulness as yet. More recently, there has been a template upgrade when users can choose to upgrade their current template into the various other new templates available. The best part in this upgrade is that the design layout of the blog can be customised easily to include the latest Google Gadgets or Widgets in a WYSIWYG display. Users without any HTML knowledge can also change or edit various components (such as Header, Sidebar, Footer, etc) within the blog to enhance its aesthetic appearance. I've also noticed that users have the option to categorise and choose various methods of diplaying their previous postings that would most certainly help readers find what they want quicker with great ease.

The bad news for me is that I've started my blog way before these changes took place. That is to say I had to revisit my old postings and add the images that are now missing due to various reasons. I also had to add tags to them in order to add value to my blog. The bad news really happened when I didn't know of all these major changes and I chose to do an "upgrade". That was when my entire blog layout really messed up. The upgrade was really a neat feature, but it wasn't for me. I like to be able to customise things such as my computer, my TV, my music playlist, my mood depending on the situation and people I'm with... ... I wasn't able to achieve that in the new layout or at least I didn't know how to. There seemed to be alotta scripting in the new design and I was definitely not very interested to fiddle with it. 

Perhaps I have to be grateful for this predicament where I screw-up my entire design because I chose an upgrade, unknowingly that many of my custom layout would not be there anymore. Therefore I had to 'start-over' with my design after reverting back to the classic mode. This drove me to upgrade and do a complete makeover for this blog. Revisit my old postings and uploading some photos, include tags, etc. More importantly, it gave me the excuse to document the bitching and rants when I seemed to have trouble finding the time for it ever since 2007.

As of now, I am still adding some nifty features and tweaking some designs constantly.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home