Kookys & Dreams

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Inside the Xbox 360 Rechargeable Battery

Being an ever inquisitive me, I would try to take apart anything without worrying about the price of the abused item.
I happened to have 2 Xbox 360 rechargeable batteries that died on me sometime back. I wanted to check if we have any recycling programmes for batteries before disposing of them but that would be another story.
Horror of horrors...
Batteries in casing
Side View
I was seriously half expecting some kind of proprietary equipment or at the very least to be using some kind of unlabeled batteries.
These my friends are off the shelf Sanyo AA size batteries with a 2100mAh rating.
Top view
Side View
To be honest, I do feel somewhat cheated initially because I could've just used any rechargeable batteries that I owned without having to pay an exorbitant S$17 for a pair of Sanyo which may retail for less than S$10.
PCB Exposed
On closer inspection, you will notice that there is a PCB board attached. The PCB clearly bears the name of the manufacturer Bannsan situated in China.
Atmel Chip
You will also notice that the main component of the PCB consists of an Atmel AT24C04N Serial EEPROM chip which I suspect will be utilized during the charging phase.
Capacitor
My most probable guess is that the tantalum capacitor is being used for decoupling.

Maybe I'm having too high an expectation on the Microsoft Xbox Team, but I hope I've uncovered some knowledge for those who are just curious to know what's inside of things. Perhaps in your country you may find a pair of Energizer, or Duracell for that matter.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how did u pry them open?

9:48 AM  
Blogger Mereel said...

Well, simply with the right tool, say a small flat head screwdriver. You need to positioin it at a location which is deemed weakest. Somewhere around the corner at the bottom i reckon. I only had to pry it once to get the glue off. After that you can simply use you hand to open the casing. The jagged marks you see on the casing is caused by cracking of the seal between them, not due to my prying.

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home